Getting a Building Consent

Share this article...

A building consent is Council’s written authority to carry out building work that it considers will comply with the Building Code provided it is completed in accordance with the plans and specifications submitted with the building consent application.

  • It cannot be issued retrospectively for work already completed. In these circumstances a Certificate of Acceptance should be applied for. Please note that a CoA is issued at the Council’s discretion and is not automatic. You may well be asked to demolish the work done.
  • If you make changes to the design while you are building, you need to apply for an alteration to the Building Consent. Avoid this if you can as they can cause extra costs and delays to the project.
  • It is the building owner’s responsibility to organise inspections. If this has been delegated to a builder, architect or project manager, check to be sure they are taking place.
Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Share this article...