Brick and Block Laying
The concept of future proof homes might sound as if it’s the domain of the latest materials and building products. Yet ironically, it’s brick – one of the oldest building materials on the planet, which stacks up extremely well against almost all the essential criteria for homes that are being built today with an eye to the future.
Here are the reasons why:
- Bricks are stable, durable, require very little maintenance and are much cheaper to maintain than a painted/coated finish.
- They don’t fade and are not affected by ultra violet light.
- Bricks are very effective at blocking noise; in particular, they are very good at reducing hard to block, low frequency noise.
- The density of brick provides effective thermal insulation. They help smooth temperature variations during the day and night.
- They absorb heat from the sun and radiate it back into the house at night.
- Reduced temperature variation means heating and cooling costs are reduced, assisting you to maintaining comfortable living conditions all year round.
- Bricks are a natural product; they don’t create any fumes or emit any toxins.
- The drained and ventilated cavity system creates a small amount of airflow in the wall, which reduces moisture inside the home.Bricks allow for complete design flexibility and work well with other claddings.
- Bricks are installed quickly and with ease, requiring only one trade for a finished result.
Things to Watch Out For:
- Are your bricks regularly tested to ensure that they meet and exceed NZ standards?
- Are your bricks closely batch controlled?
- Can your brick be used to build a 2 story home without requiring specialist engineers?
- Does your brick manufacturer offer technical backup and support?
Suppliers - Click on those you would like to find out more about…
- Brick & Block Laying Licensed Building Practitioners
- Licensed Building Practitioners Scheme This Scheme was introduced in November 2007. From 1 March 2012, building practitioners must be licensed in order to carry out or supervise on homes and small-medium size apartment buildings that is critical to the integrity of building.
- Monier Bricks
- We’ve been in business for a long time and the Monier name is well known and respected. Our products have been tried and tested over time and this means when you build with Monier you can build with confidence.