Local Councils

Share this article...

Can you build what you want, where you want? To find out, go and see a council officer or visit the council’s website, which will have a section on Building.

  • How your land is zoned tells you whether you are in a heritage zone, how much of your site you can build on, how high you can build etc.
  • If you don’t have a recent Land Information Memorandum (LIM) report on your property, apply for one now. It lists everything the council knows about your site, any hazards or features of the land, and any restrictions that may apply.
  • If your proposed house doesn’t comply with development controls for your area, you will need a Resource Consent. Discuss this with the council.
  • Find out as much as you can now so there are no nasty surprises later.
Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Share this article...