The design and dreaming is over, now the hammer hits the nail and things start to happen. Watching your new home arise from your plans is superb and it’s now time to review things, stay on top of what’s going on and to ensure your professionals Build It Right. It’s easier than you think, so long as you know what to look for – This is where this section can help…
Three things you need to know
- Your builder is a crucial partner – you need a good one whom you can trust.
- Making changes after building has begun is expensive and can cause delays.
- Insurance, especially against theft and fire, is essential.
Four things you need to do
- Ensure that there is a health and safety plan for the building site.
- Always check that the builder is following the plans and all materials used are the ones specified and are installed correctly. This is especially important.
- Read the ‘Prescribed Checklist‘ here. It will help ensure you have a clear understanding with your builder on their background, their skills, the scope of work and that key elements are in place for your project.
- When the work is done and your home is ready, get a Code Compliance Certificate from the council.
The usual order of construction is:
- Correct set out of the building
- Excavate the section and lay the foundations
- Pour concrete floors
- Construct the framing
- Put the roof on
- Mount the windows
- Put on the exterior cladding
- Organise plumbing and wiring
- Fit insulation
- Put in the doors
- Interior lining
- Interior plastering and painting
- Interior waterproofing
- Tile floors and walls
- Install cabinets
- Carry out final plumbing and electrical work
- Paint the house and complete any finishing work
- Lay the floor coverings
- Have a glass of champagne – you deserve it!